For property owners in East York, Abbots Town, and Dallastown, one of the most vital factors when purchasing a new furnace will be its AFUE rating. But what is this AFUE rating? How will you utilize it when you are purchasing a new unit?

Acquiring a new furnace is always a significant investment. Additionally, this is something that is likely to be present in your house for years to come. It is, therefore essential to understand everything there is to know before you proceed to purchase a unit for your residence.

What is the Meaning of AFUE?

AFUE is an abbreviation that stands for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. It is used to measure the total amount of heat that a fuel-burning appliance produces compared to the total amount of energy that it uses in a period of 1 year. The FTC has placed a requirement compelling manufacturers to display the rating of all new boilers and furnaces. This is meant to help a consumer compare the energy efficiency of each unit prior to the purchase.

Calculation of the AFUE Rating

The AFUE percentage is basically a calculation of the total heat produced over the amount of energy that has been consumed. For instance, a system with a rating of 80 percent will be able to burn 85 percent of the total energy that it has consumed into heat. The remaining 15 percent will get lost in between the process of producing heat.

A Good AFUE Rating—What Is It?

New gas furnaces are required to have a minimum AFUE rating of 78 percent. According to data made available by the EPA, mid-efficiency heating units often have ratings of between 80 and 83 percent.

If you need assistance choosing a new HVAC system that is ideal for your residence, contact Air Comfort Technologies. We are your PA heating and cooling specialists. We also deal with furnace repair and installation services.

Aircomfort Man Blog